E-scooters arrived on campus in the fall and as the weather trends warmer throughout the spring, their use on campus is expected to grow.
Safety is always a top priority for the U of A community, so as we welcome new transportation options on the Hill, we encourage our community to stay safe and be courteous. Scooters can be ridden almost anywhere, just like bicycles. E-scooters are programmed with a maximum speed of 15 mph and will automatically slow to 6 mph in designated “slow zones.”
More information including parking tips can be found below and at safety.uark.edu.
- Scooters can be ridden anywhere bicycles are allowed, including streets and paved trails.
- Riding is permitted on most sidewalks, riders must yield to pedestrians and use extra caution at crosswalks and driveways. No riding on sidewalks that abut a building face.
- Scooter use is prohibited INSIDE of any building.
- Helmets prevent head injuries and are strongly recommended.
- Using a cellphone, headphones, earbuds or any similar device that impairs hearing is prohibited while riding a scooter.
- Park scooters neatly at a bike rack.
- Always stand scooters upright when parking.
- Do not park scooters:
- Blocking sidewalks
- In handicapped zones
- In flow of traffic/on street
- In loading zone
- On railroad tracks
- In bus zones
- On private property
- In an entryway
- In a driveway