As the semester kicks off, we know students have new year’s resolutions top-of-mind.
Sustainability is a great thing to focus on in 2018 – for example, the simple act of recycling can make a big impact on our campus and beyond.
That’s why University Housing and PepsiCo Recycling are teaming up to increase recycling rates and promote sustainability in two residence halls on campus.
This semester, Hotz and Yocum Halls will compete to see who can recycle more plastic bottles and aluminum cans.
The recycled items will be weighed each week, and at the end of the program, the residence hall with the highest weight of plastic bottles and aluminum cans per student will emerge the winner.
The recycling competition provides incentives for volunteers such as an air lounger, credit for volunteer hours and other swag items – all in addition to making a positive impact on our campus.
The competition will take place from Tuesday, Jan. 16 to Monday, April 16 and volunteer positions are open now.
The duties of a volunteer are simple – all you have to do is:
- Spread the word so students know to contribute their plastic bottles and aluminum cans
- Help staff events (schedule permitting) to raise awareness about the competition
- Gather plastic bottles and aluminum cans by placing a collection cart (available in the residence hall) in a common area on your floor once a week during a specific time and taking the cart to a drop-off station located in your building
- Weigh the contributions of plastic bottles and aluminum cans each week (scale will be provided) to track progress and report back to Natalie Friend, RIC Sustainability Chair
- Keep tracking up-to-date each week
- Attend a wrap-up party where the winning residence hall will be announced and the air loungers will be handed out
If you’re a resident of Hotz or Yocum Halls, get involved by signing up or talk to your coordinator for residence education for more information.
Remember to recycle your plastic bottles and aluminum cans so your residence hall will receive a catered food celebration and other great giveaways!