Student email accounts will move from Google Gmail to Microsoft Outlook over winter break following the fall 2019 semester. This migration will automatically move all email messages, calendar appointments, contacts and attachments from Gmail to Outlook.
Prospective students applying for fall 2020 will be assigned Office 365 Outlook instead of Gmail.
How will this change benefit students?
- Students, faculty and staff will be on one unified email and calendar platform to streamline communications and collaboration.
- Students will have access to the full UARK address book.
- Simplified sharing and real-time collaboration among faculty, advisors, and supervisors for student employees on campus.
- Greater integration with Microsoft Office 365, available for free to students to install on up to five devices including iOS and Android.
Will my email address change?
No, you will continue to receive email at ‘email@example.com’; it will just be delivered to our environment within Microsoft.
Will this change just affect my email? What about my other Google apps?
This change only applies to Gmail, all other Google Suite tools will continue to be available. The migration will move all content including email messages, attachments and folders from Gmail to the new Office 365 account.
Is Microsoft user-friendly and compatible with all computer types?
Yes. The Microsoft Office 365 applications run on Windows, Mac, and Linux systems and on mobile devices running iOS and Android. The web interface is easy to navigate, built to promote collaboration, meets accessibility requirements.
Will I be able to forward my email to another account?
Forwards setup in Gmail will need to be setup again in Outlook.
Why is this happening?
- The Computing Activities Council (CAC) made and approved the motion to unify students, faculty and staff on one email/calendar platform.
- The change will remove barriers to collaboration between students and faculty as well as student employees and their supervisors.
Who do I contact for help?
Instructions on using Outlook and all Microsoft Office 365 applications, including setting up all devices, will be available online at New Student Email. Visit help.uark.edu or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for direct assistance.