What is RecycleMania?
RecycleMania is a friendly competition between resident halls to promote recycling.
The competition runs from Jan. 24 to April 2.
It’s part of an international effort we brought here to the University of Arkansas. Help us compete by recycling more in your residence halls.
Use the hashtag #UARKGreen on Instagram for bonus pounds. See the rules below for more detail.
The winning residence hall receives a catered party and a hall improvement worth more than $1,000 provided by University Housing.
Weekly results are cumulative. Remember that trash items in the recycling count against your hall total. Current standings will be posted every Wednesday.
Over an 8-week period each spring, colleges across the United States and Canada report the amount of recycling and trash collected each week. With each week’s updated ranking, participating schools follow their performance against other colleges and use the results to rally their campus to reduce and recycle more.
You can follow along with the international scoreboard starting in February.
Recognition is provided to the winning school in each category on the RecycleMania website and in a national press release.
Winning schools receive an award made out of recyclable materials. The school also wins the right to host that category’s special traveling trophy for the coming year.
University of Arkansas 2016 Rules
- Recycled materials are weighed each week per residence hall.
- Pounds are adjusted by each residence hall’s population to level the playing field between large halls and smaller halls.
- The score (pounds recycled per capita) will be posted here each Wednesday.
- When you promote the contest on social media using #uarkgreen you earn extra pounds for your hall.
- Be sure to tag your hall in the post.
- Each week the top three halls will get 50, 25, and 10 extra pounds respectively.
- One post per account per week will be counted.
- Contaminated pounds do not count.
- Contamination is any food or non-recyclable mixed in with the recycling.
- Example: Pizza boxes mixed in with other cardboard would be contaminated due to the grease and cheese in the pizza box.
- The winning hall will receive a catered party.
- They will also win a hall improvement valued at more than $1,000.
Overall Goals for RecycleMania
- Motivate students and staff to increase recycling efforts and reduce waste generation.
- Generate attention and support for campus recycling programs.
- Encourage colleges to measure and benchmark recycling activity in their effort to improve their programs over time.
- Have a fair and friendly competition.