Pictured above: RIC’s executive board talk about ways to make changes on campus through student government. | Photo by Jessi Balagtas
By Jessi Balagtas
The bang of a speaker’s gavel at 6:30 p.m. Monday brought the year’s first Residents’ Interhall Congress meeting to order.
Those gathered considered allowing cats and dogs in the residence halls.
A lively and giggling debate ensued. Voters considered amending the bill to include dogs only at one point. No love for cats.
That amendment and bill ultimately failed.
The pretend bill and debate were an exercise to illustrate the parliamentary process and the power wielded by RIC, the university’s on-campus student government.
Big Budget Votes
RIC controls a $40,000 annual budget meant to enhance the experience of on-campus students.
”That’s higher than any that you all have ever worked with before,” said Ryan Bishop, RIC’s director of internal affairs.
Board members stressed that RIC gives students the power to make changes on campus.
Bills can be written for programs, activities and other initiatives on campus. RIC provides templates for writing bills and resolutions to help newcomers understand the political process.
RIC’s executive board told the audience about opportunities to get involved with the standing committees. There’s also room for new committees if needed, board members said.
These committees include:
- Advertising/Public Relations
‘RIC is Here for Business’
RIC’s executive board stressed that business casual dress is the norm for meetings “because RIC is here for business,” Gabrielle Hizer said.
Hizer is RIC’s national communications coordinator.
“The only way for you to do something is to speak up,” she said.
RIC is open to all on-campus students.
Contact one of the officers listed below if you are interested.
- President: Trent Wilson (email@example.com)
- Vice President: Nimit Gandhi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Director of Internal Affairs: Ryan Bishop (email@example.com)
- Director of Advertising and Public Relations: Sandra Ezigbo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Director of Programs: Riley Garrett (email@example.com)
- National Communications Coordinator: Gabrielle Hizer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Speaker of the House: Kanha Bodhisatva (email@example.com)
- Director of Information Systems: Logan Mills (firstname.lastname@example.org)